Studying English in Australia is about much more than reciting words in a classroom. Our teaching approach focuses on critical thinking, as well as group and project work – all drawn from real-life experiences, which means you will not only be learning the language, you will be learning how to use it in everyday life.
By studying English in Australia, you will gain a huge range of life skills you cannot get at home. Invaluable skills like problem-solving, leading diverse teams of people, and applying your English to real-world situations – abilities you will draw on for the rest of your life. With a multicultural mix of students in our educational facilities, you will learn the world’s language in a truly international environment.
Our English language teaching maintains a consistently high quality – no matter where you study or what course you choose. With mandatory national standards and a comprehensive, industry-led quality support framework (see English Australia) you can be confident that you’re getting the very finest English education.
Types of English training
Australia offers a range of English courses to suit a range of study needs. There are a range of English language testing organizations whose results are recognized in Australia and around the world.
- Your goal - To improve general proficiency to access higher level courses; to improve your English for everyday use; to improve your English for travel; to improve your English for work purposes or to do casual work in an English speaking country
- Course description - Focusing on communication skills with emphasis on speaking and listening
English for Academic Purposes
- Your goal - You want to study in an Australian school, vocational college or university
- Course description - Preparing you for study at an English-speaking university, higher education or vocational institute
English for Specific Purposes (ESP)
- Your goal - You want to learn the spoken and written English needed for a specific context and perhaps want to consider an internship
- Course description - Focusing on practical English for specific course areas such as business, aviation or tourism
- Your goal - You plan to take an exam such as IELTS, TOEFL, TOEIC, or the Cambridge First Certificate
- Course description - Preparing you for English language proficiency examinations
English for Teaching
- Your goal - You want to teach English in schools in your own country
- Course description - These courses include TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, EfTC (English for Teaching Children.)
- Your goal - You want to have a short holiday, study English and have fun or study English and undertake work related training
- Course description - These courses are a combination of General English with sporting, social, tourist, cultural or professional training activities.
Our quality assurance
Australia has national regulatory and quality agencies for international education – theTertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA) and theAustralian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA). They were established by the Australian Government to monitor quality, and regulate university and non-university education providers against a set of independently developed standards to regulate courses and education and training providers to ensure nationally approved quality standards are met. These two bodies share responsibility for monitoringnational standards for English language colleges.
In addition, the following student rights are protected by law under the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS):
- The wellbeing of all international students.
- The quality of students' education experience.
- The provision of up-to-date and accurate information.
English Australia is the national peak body for the English language sector of international education in Australia. English Australia represents over 100 member colleges throughout Australia that provide quality English language programs to students and professionals from around the world.
English Australia’s focus is on:
- Delivering the highest quality English language programs;
- Providing a range of support services for a secure learning environment; and
- Assuring tuition protection for students of all visa types.
NEAS is the Global Leader in Quality Assurance for the English Language Teaching Community. NEAS has over 160 member centres in Australia and an additional 57 Australian member or member affiliated centres operating internationally.
NEAS is committed to providing a number of services that support the English Language Teaching (ELT) Community including
- Quality assurance and endorsement for ELT Centres;
- Professional development for teachers, managers and professional staff; and
- Approval of ELT teacher qualifications.
While education providers set their own English language requirements for course entry, the English proficiency score needed for your course may be different to the score needed to secure your visa. You should check entry requirements for both your visa application and your course application. Find out more about the most widely accepted English language testing providers.