International students undertaking formal studies in Australia and their dependents (including spouses and children under 18) must have OSHC.

What does OSHC cover? 

OSHC insurers provide a range of different OSHC plans.

The compulsory minimum (basic) OSHC plan will usually cover: 

  • visits to the doctor (GP)
  • some hospital treatments
  • ambulance, and
  • limited pharmaceuticals (medicines). 

OSHC doesn’t cover treatments such as dental, optical or physiotherapy. You can purchase Extras OSHC from an OSHC provider if you want cover for these. 

Another option is to buy private health insurance along with your OSHC to cover items that OSHC does not cover. Benefits and costs vary between funds and insurance policies.

You can also purchase travel insurance in addition to your OSHC, which can cover various health treatments. . 

Where can I buy OSHC?

There are only a few registered health insurers that offer OSHC. You can compare plans and prices by visiting the following websites: 

Maintaining your OSHC 

The Department of Home Affairs requires overseas students to maintain OSHC for their duration in Australia. 

For further information, please visit the Private Health website.