More and more organisations have made significant commitments to supporting students through hardship funds and welfare support. If you're struggling to meet your living expenses, here's how you can access welfare support.
How are institutions supporting international students?
- All international students are encouraged to stay in touch with their education providers about the range of support which is available to them at this time.
- Many universities and other education providers are offering a range of support to students including fee deferrals, deferred studies or payments, food and accommodation support and mental health and other medical support.
How is the Australian Government providing financial assistance?
International students who are studying and working in Australia may be able to access financial assistance when they are:
• required to self-isolate or are caring for someone with COVID-19 (Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment) or;
• adversely affected by a state public health order and are required to be in lockdown for more than seven days (COVID-19 Disaster Payment).
For more information on the financial support payments, including eligibility criteria, see Centrelink payments and services.
- Extended working arrangements for international students
If you an international student employed by a health, disability or aged care organisation, the Australian Government has announced special working arrangements. Visit the Department of Home Affairs website for more information.
How are State and Territory International Education agencies supporting international students?
Australia’s states and territories have a vital role in supporting international students who are facing hardship. This includes referring students to local agencies providing welfare, mental health and emergency relief.
Download the State and Territory student welfare support map
- Visit your state or territory’s international education agency website for more information:
Study Adelaide Study NSW
Study Brisbane Study Perth
Study Canberra Study Queensland
Study Gold Coast Study Tasmania
Study Melbourne Study NT