Main content

There are usually English language requirements for studying or working in Australia.

You will need to check the type of visa that you want to apply for at the Australian Government’s Department of Home Affairs website. The page for each visa will tell you what level of English you need and what evidence you must provide.

One of the requirements of the Student visa (subclass 500) is to provide proof of your English language ability

To prove your English language level, you will need to provide one of the following: 

  • Proof that you are a citizen of (and hold a valid passport issued by) the United Kingdom*, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland. *British National (Overseas) passports are not accepted.
  • A certificate of results from one of the approved English language tests listed below. 

Approved English language tests

The Australian Government’s Department of Home Affairs accepts scores from the following tests, undertaken at a secure test centre, for English language visa requirements: 

*From 14 December 2022, IELTS One Skill Retake (OSR) will be available for certain test takers. OSR allows you to retake one of the four test components in either reading, writing, speaking or listening (once only).

^From 26 July 2023 TOEFL iBT will no longer offer English language tests for Australian visa purposes until further notice.

For Australian visa purposes, the Department of Home Affairs will accept IELTS test results that include OSR, except for visa subclasses 476, 482, and 485, which need scores from a single sitting or attempt.

See what evidence you need to provide for:

Online (at-home) English language tests

Some test providers offer tests that you can take at home or online, such as TOEFL iBT – Special Home Edition, OET@Home, IELTS Indicator, and IELTS Online. However, the Australian Government’s Department of Home Affairs does not accept scores from these tests or other 'at-home' or 'online' tests.