Student visa (subclass 500)

Find out about the Student visa (subclass 500) including study types, work restrictions and fees.

This visa allows you to


a course at an Australian education provider.

Include family

in your application including your partner, child or partner’s child.


in Australia for the duration of your course (maximum five years) and travel in and out of Australia


up to 48 hours a fortnight while your course of study is in session. Students who have started a master's degree by research or Doctoral degree have no work hour limits.

Types of study covered

The student (subclass 500) visa allows you to study the following study types:

You will need to enrol in a course at an Australian education or training provider first and then apply for a student visa after you have been issued a confirmation of enrolment (CoE) from the provider. For more information on applying for courses, visit the how to apply to study page.

Student visa work restrictions

The number of work hours allowed during study terms and semesters is capped at 48 hours per fortnight. If you fail to comply with this visa condition, you may have your student visa cancelled. 

Students who have already started their Master degree by research or Doctoral degree have no work hours limit. 

Check the Visa Entitlement Verification Online system (VEVO) to see the work conditions that apply to you.   

International students are protected by Australia's workplace laws. Find out more on our Working in Australia page.

Fees and processing time 

In Australia, student visa fees are from AUD$650 per visa application* unless you are exempt. Australian student visa processing times vary from person to person. Visa processing times are available on the Department of Home Affairs website. You can also get tips on how to improve your processing time. 

*Prices are correct at July 2023. 

Student visa conditions 

There are some important visa conditions that you need to take note of, including that you must:

  • notify your education or training provider of your residential address within 7 days of arriving in Australia
  • meet your course requirements, remain enrolled and maintain satisfactory attendance and course progression – tell your provider if you are sick or have any other issues that may affect your attendance
  • stay within the visa limit on working hours while studying
  • maintain adequate health insurance for visa holders for the whole of your stay in Australia, and  
  • not over-stay your visa period in Australia. 

You can check your visa status and full list of conditions any time at the Department of Home Affairs Visa Entitlement Verification Online system (VEVO). 

‘Course packaging’ on a Student visa (subclass 500) 

You can apply to study two or more courses on your Student visa (subclass 500) where there is clear progression from one course to another. This is known as course packaging. 

You will need a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for each course you plan to take. The final course that you will undertake as part of your package will be your main (or ‘principal’) course of study.

For your visa application, the Department of Home Affairs will use your main (principal) course of study to work out what evidence of finances and English language skills you will need to provide.

If your visa application includes a package of courses, course gaps must be less than two calendar months. This gap can be longer (three to four months) if the first course finishes at the end of the Australian academic year (November) and the following course starts at the beginning of the next academic year (February). 

Standard visa grant periods apply to packaged courses. To find about more about the most popular pathway (or packaged study) options, visit our Pathways page. 

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

The Visa Entitlement Verification Online system (VEVO) allows visa holders to check their visa conditions. 

If you have any questions, you can contact the Department of Home Affairs.

Once a visa application is lodged, a decision can be made by the Department of Home Affairs at any time. If your application is incomplete, it may be refused. So, if you cannot complete any of these tests in time, please attach evidence of the steps you have taken to your application in ImmiAccount. For more information, visit the Department of Home Affairs website.

You can submit your student visa application at any time. However, it is recommended that you lodge a complete application at least eight weeks before your course commences.

If you already hold a student visa, your education provider will provide the Department of Home Affairs with your new CoE. However, if your student visa application is still being assessed by the Department of Home Affairs, you should attach your new CoE to your student visa application through ImmiAccount as soon as possible.


If your new CoE is for study at a lower AQF course level, you may need to apply for a new student visa. The Australian Qualification Framework sets course levels.