Visa requirements

There are different visas that allow you to study in Australia. Find out which one applies to you.

As an international student in Australia, or a non-Australian citizen visiting the country, you may be required to hold an Australian visa.
Below is a summary of the different types of visas available, or you can visit the Department of Home Affairs’ Studying in Australia site to explore which visa is right for you.

Student visa:
Australia offers a Student Visa (subclass 500) which allows you to:

        • Study for up to five years in line with your course enrolment.
        • Travel in and out of Australia.
        • Work up to a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight on the commencement of your course.

For more information on Australian student visas, visit the Department of Home Affairs website.

Other visa options:
Australia offers several visas for international students – who intend to stay for a shorter period of time – which allow you to work while studying. These include:

        • Visitor Visa (Subclasses 600, 601, 651)
          Allows you to study in Australia for up to three months.
        • Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417, 462)
          Allows you to study in Australia for up to four months and remain in Australia for the eight months following the completion of your course.
        • Student Guardian (Subclass 590)
          Relevant for a parent or guardian to reside with a student in Australia, where the student requires a guardian (i.e. the student is under 18 years of age). It allows you to study in Australia for up to three months or complete English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) study for up to 20 hours per week.
Visa requirements are subject to change. For the most recent information on visa requirements, visit the Department of Home Affairs website.


Rate this page

  • Rate as Helpful6 Helpful votes
  • Rate as Not helpful3 Not helpful votes