Post-study work rights extension: courses announced

The Australian Government has announced the list of courses that will be considered for an extended post-study ‘stay and work’ period.

Main content

Updated 5 July 2023

Following an announcement on eligible qualifications in February 2023, the Australian Government has now released the full list of all selected courses (degrees) eligible for an extended post-study ‘stay and work’ period in Australia. Extended post-study work rights are intended for international students graduating with a degree linked to workforce shortages in Australia.  

Eligible courses announced 

The Australian Government has released the full list of selected courses eligible for an extended Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) from 1 July 2023.   

The full lists of all eligible higher education courses, occupations and qualifications can be found at the extended post-study work rights page

The lists will be reviewed each year to respond to any changes in the Australian labour market and address any risks that emerge. 

The post-study work increases 

Under the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) Post-Study Work Stream, the ‘stay and work’ period for eligible graduates of listed qualifications and courses will increase, as follows:  

  • Four years for Bachelor degree graduates, up from two years previously. 
  • Five years for Master degree graduates, up from three years previously. 
  • Six years for doctoral graduates, up from four years previously. 

These extensions are in addition to the existing additional one to two years of work rights for eligible students who study, live and work in regional areas in Australia. 


You will be eligible for this extension if: 

In addition, one of the following must also apply: 

  • You hold a Temporary Graduate visa (Post-Study Work stream) on 1 July 2023, or 
  • You have lodged an application for a Temporary Graduate visa (Post-Study Work stream) by 1 July 2023, or 
  • You lodge an application for a Temporary Graduate visa (Post-Study Work stream) after 1 July 2023. 

If you hold a Temporary Graduate visa (Post-Study Work stream) that expires before 1 July 2023, but you do hold an eligible qualification, you can still apply for this extension. However, in this case, you will be granted a two-year Temporary Activity Australian Government Endorsed Events (COVID-19 Pandemic Event) visa (subclass 408) instead of a further Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485). 

You are also eligible for a two-year Temporary Activity Australian Government Endorsed Events (COVID-19 Pandemic event) visa (subclass 408) if: 

  • You were granted a Temporary Graduate visa (Post-Study Work stream) before 15 December 2021, and 
  • The visa took effect on or after 1 February 2020, and 
  • You were in Australia for the whole time that your visa was in effect between 1 February 2020 and 15 December 2021, and 
  • You hold an eligible qualification. 

How to apply 

If you meet the eligibility criteria, have completed a course from the approved list, and hold a valid Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) on 1 July 2023 – or apply for a Temporary Graduate visa before or after 1 July 2023 – your visa will be automatically extended by two years. 

If your Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) expires before 1 July 2023 or you are eligible for the two-year Temporary Activity (subclass 408) Australian Government Endorsed Events visa (COVID-19 Pandemic event) as above, you will need to apply for the Temporary Activity (subclass 408) visa with the Department of Home Affairs

Unrestricted hours for aged care workers 

The Australian Government has also announced that student visa holders already working in the aged care sector on 9 May 2023 can continue to work unrestricted hours in the aged care sector until 31 December 2023. 

However, if this exemption applies to you, you must continue to balance your study and work commitments even though there is flexibility in the number of hours you can work. You must still: 

  • maintain your course enrolment 
  • ensure satisfactory course attendance, and 
  • ensure satisfactory course progress. 

If you cancel your enrolment and stop attending classes, or fail to meet satisfactory course progress, you may be in breach of your visa conditions. 

More travel and visa information  

For more information on the latest travel and visa advice, visit our preparing to travel page